Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone
A new video from the Fire Kills campaign highlights the importance of keeping your family fire-safe.
In the video, launched at the beginning of March, a young boy explores the burnt-out shell of his former home, examines his old toys, and asks you to make a life-saving promise this Easter – to keep your loved ones safe from fire.
Fifteen children died in accidental fires across the country last year, and in Cheshire a total of 46 injuries and five deaths were caused by accidental dwelling fires.
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service’s Head of Community Safety, Evan Morris, said that the new heart-wrenching video reminds everyone exactly what is at stake in a house fire, and asked Cheshire residents to test their smoke alarms when they change their clocks over Easter weekend.
One Cheshire mother has realised the value of having a working smoke alarm in her home after one alerted to a fire in her daughter’s bedroom.
Karen Difelice and her 16-year-old daughter Serafina were downstairs at their home and suddenly heard an alarm sounding. On investigation Karen found smoke coming from the open door of her daughter’s first floor bedroom and an orange glow around the bed area. The mum closed the door on the fire and got herself and her daughter to safety and dialled 999.
Firefighters from two Cheshire fire stations attended and used one water hose reel to extinguish the flames on the bed. A laptop was also damaged in the fire.
Mum Karen said: “I never realised the value of smoke alarms until now. You hear about people having fires but never think it could happen to you.
“At first I thought the beeping was a kitchen appliance but when I went upstairs I saw smoke and realised that it was a fire. It’s a lesson learnt and I would certainly advise everyone to get a smoke alarm after this.”